User manual: Before you start - configuration of the radio
Table of contents
After uploading RadioClone to your radio, it will be configured with default values. In order to adapt them to your particular hardware, and your personal preferences, you should change some global configuration.
Calibration of the sticks and knobs
Menu: CONFIG -> Stick calibration
Calibration is necessary after installing the new firmware (as well after firmware update). Calibration are allowed by option: CONFIG -> Stick calibration. After running it you will see the following screen:
The quickest method. If you want you can then skip the rest of this section:
- Set all sticks and knobs in the middle position
- Select "Auto OFF" and press the MENU key (it will switch to the Auto ON and change all numbers displayed below)
- move sticks to all corners
- rotate knobs to min and max
- browse button (UP) to the "Save" and press the MENU
- „Save” should change to „Saved” and auto to „Auto OFF”
- Now you can press EXIT - Calibration completed
If you want to know more about what happened:
Each row describes one analog input. The first column (with the letters A, B, C. ..) indicates which inputs it is (see the "basic section" check the assignment). The second column (the first with numbers) shows current "raw" reading of the potentiometer. The other three columns are the calibration data. Denote the minimum central and maximum value. These three values can be changed by using the + / -, or the use of MENU key to rewrite the current reading for the highlighted field.
To calibrate single potentiometer:
- choose a minimum, slide potentiometer (joystick or knob) on the position of the minimum
- press MENU key
- Repeat these steps for the center position and maximum
There is an additional function in the calibration. Input can be reversed. First you must perform the correct calibration, turn off "AUTO ON", select the correct channel (either of its value) and hold down MENU key more than 3 seconds. After key release the maximum and minimum values will be swapped, and the channel will work in reverse mode. Please note that this setting is valid for all models! Ff you want to reverse one of the model of channels - it's a bad place to do that!
Remember, save the settings to maintain your calibration.
The level of the battery voltage alarm
Menu: CONFIG –> Battery levels
Allows you to set the voltage at which the alarm will be activated on the low battery. Alarm is four short "beeps" repeated every 53 seconds. The default values should work well enough for most of the transmitters. However, if you need to calibrate the voltage readings, read this chapter.
Shortcut, how to set the alarm for the selected voltage value:
- Go to rov: Alarm .....V: ..... (keys UP/DN)
- Using the + / - set the desired voltage level that will trigger the alarm (note - you will change "Raw" value, but this value is converted in real time to a voltage and shown in that same line)
- Save your settings (by pressing MENU key on "Save" option)
- When "Saved" appears, you can press EXIT key to leave this menu.
Battery voltage is treated just like any analog value read by the transmitter. So it has "Minimum" and "maximum". Maximum reading is interpreted as 12V and the minimum as 5V. Now, assuming linearity of the measurement, the software can convert any measurement to voltage in volts.
To change the calibration settings, you don't necessarily need exact measurements for 5 and 12 volts. You need only know the readings of two different measurements, as distant from each other as posible (eg, 7.6V and 11V). Then using a simple calculation you can convert them into value for the 12V and 5V.
Example: (vx – voltage, rx – "raw" reading from transmitter "Reading")
v1= 11V r1=800 (1-st measurements) v2= 7.6V r2=450 (2-nd measurements)First, calculate the parameters A and B (numbers less than zero are also correct):
A = (r1 – r2) / (v1 – v2) = 102,94 B = r1 – v1*A = -332,35Now you can calculate the appropriate values:
Setting for 12V = 12*A+B = 903 Setting for 5V = 5*A+B = 182
Menu: CONFIG –> LCD config
Allows you to change screen contrast. You can set any value between 0-63. The default value is 30
If you can not read the LCD when you change this value, do not panic. Pressing the EXIT (quit without saving). This will restore the last saved value!
It is also possible configure backlight. Backlight device must be connected to pin PB7 (pin corner with its own unused pad).
The following configurations are acceptable:
- Always on – backlight is always enabled
- Disabled – backlight will be disabled
- 1-254 set number of seconds before the backlight will automatically turns off. Backlight will be enabled, when you press any key (up / down left / right menu / exit) or after any alarm activation.
Menu: CONFIG –> Radio configuration
Allows you to change the parameters generated PPM signal (including the maximum number of channels).
Shortcut - how to set the maximum number of channels supported by the radio:
- go to row "Max chane"
- using keys + / - set the maximum number of channels that your transmitter can handle. (This is not the setting for the model: but configuration model can not exceed this value)
- Save settings by pressing MENU key over "Save" option
- When "Saved" appears you can press EXIT key to leave this menu
What's with all these values?
All values in this screen are stored in microseconds (1/1000 of a millisecond, 1/ million seconds).
This is a generated PPM signal:
„Sync” This sync pulse. Its length can be set by "Sync Time"
„Separation time”, is the distance between the signals - can be set by "SeparTime"
“Chan time” the duration of single encoded value pulse transmitted on that channel. You must remember, that customarily given pulse time for different transmitters includes interval between the signals + pulse. Only then did we get it from other apparatuses known from 1000 to 2000 us (which is 1 to 2 ms).
The default values used to generate the signal can be set by "Def.min S", "Def.neutr" and "Def.max S". These values can and probably will be changed by the configuration model. For example, calibration of the output just change these values! Similarly, modify Trimmers (limited) implicitly generated signal.
WARNING: If rearrange configuration, so that the radio will stop responding, and even bind, then select "Default" to restore the initial values.
Menu:CONFIG –> Software version
Shows the firmware version number, author information, contact email and a web page address where you should seek further information and fixes.
Menu:CONFIG –> Trimmers
allows to modify trimmers behavior. Warning: This setting changes the behavior of whole transmitter regardless of the model! But if you get used to one of your favorite settings, then you get it for each current and new model.
Row „Trimmers” contains 4 set of 2 symbols. Every pair is for one trimmer. First symbol is a sing describing for which trimmer is that setting
|vertical left||horizontal left|
|horizontal right||vertical right|
In addition here you can configure:
- „Repeat Delay” how long trimmer need to be hold before it start auto repeating (in 1/10 sec.)
- „Repeat speed” how long you need to wait until next value when in auto repeat mode (in 1/10 sec)
- „trim step” defines how big is jump on every single trimmer step
Menu:CONFIG –> Expert mode
Starting it in the early adventures with RadioClone not a good idea. First try to master the standard settings.
Switching modes above the "Basic" allows you to remove restrictions on the access to the variables. Basic mode allows, for example at the first level mixers, as input select only switches and sticks. In mode "author" - there are no limits ... But then you need check by yourself if you not caused open-loop calculation.